Recent Shouts

  • 06/10/2018 - 1:54pm

  • 05/10/2018 - 11:35am

  • 23/09/2018 - 12:16pm

  • 18/09/2018 - 2:32pm

  • 05/09/2018 - 11:58pm

  • 05/09/2018 - 11:55am

  • 26/08/2018 - 6:51pm

  • 25/08/2018 - 12:26pm

On average, the Yarmouth lifeboat launches over forty times every year. If you would like to know when the Yarmouth lifeboat goes out on a shout, why not download the RNLI's desktop pager for PC and Mac? To find out more, please click here

2018 SHOUTS: 28

2017 SHOUTS: 46

2016 SHOUTS: 44


  • 26/05/2018 - 5:12pm

  • 09/05/2018 - 10:54am

  • 29/04/2018 - 3:14pm

  • 21/04/2018 - 5:30pm

  • 08/04/2018 - 2:53pm

  • 04/04/2018 - 10:56am

  • 01/04/2018 - 10:21am

  • 11/02/2018 - 6:12pm

  • 08/02/2018 - 6:55pm

  • 06/01/2018 - 1:35am


  • 10/08/2018 - 2:41pm

  • 28/07/2018 - 7:56pm

  • 28/07/2018 - 3:12pm

  • 22/07/2018 - 11:41am

  • 01/07/2018 - 8:38pm
  • 30/06/2018 - 9:26am
  • 24/06/2018 - 11:52am

  • 17/06/2018 - 8:25pm

  • 13/06/2018 - 12:37pm

  • 09/06/2018 - 1:36pm

Easter Sunday shout for Yarmouth RNLI

Sunday 1st April 2018

The Yarmouth lifeboat launched at 10:32am on Easter Sunday morning (1st April) to go to the aid of a yacht that was taking on water following a collision.

In calm conditions one nautical mile south of Beaulieu River, the 39 foot sailing yacht with a crew of two, had collided with a channel marker and holed her bow.

The RNLI's Yarmouth lifeboat joined the Hamble ILB (independent lifeboat) on scene within 17 minutes. The Hamble ILB crew rigged a salvage pump, which a crew member from the Yarmouth lifeboat then readied on board the casualty vessel.

The stricken yacht was escorted to the entrance to the Hamble River, from where the Hamble ILB took the casualty in tow to the lifting dock at Hamble Point Marina.

The RNLI's Yarmouth ALB (all-weather lifeboat) and her volunteer crew returned to station by 12:27pm.

Shout for Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat during training

Thursday 8th February 2018

Yesterday evening's weekly crew training turned into a real-life rescue when the lifeboat was tasked by the UK Coastguard with assisting a yacht whose propeller had fouled on mooring lines off Newtown Creek.

The all-weather lifeboat was quickly on scene and a bow tow was established to hold the vessel in position against the ebbing tide. Meanwhile, the lifeboat's smaller Y-Boat was launched and the volunteer crew members on board were able to sever the entangled lines and free the propeller.


The yacht was then towed to the safety of Yarmouth harbour, with the lifeboat arriving back at station by 8:45pm.

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat's all-night vigil over stricken cargo ship

Tuesday 26th December 2017

The RNLI's all-weather lifeboat Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) launched from Yarmouth shortly after 8:25pm yesterday evening in order to relieve the Bembridge RNLI lifeboat from her day watch over the heavily listing Russian flagged cargo vessel MEKHANIK YARTSEV and her crew of 13. After a very rough night standing by off Lee-on-Solent, the Yarmouth lifeboat and her volunteer crew returned to station at 7:35am this morning, but are likely to be requested to attend the scene again today.

Photos: RNLI/Yarmouth

RNLI lifeboat launched from Yarmouth to assist 67 foot yacht

Wednesday 7th September 2017

The Yarmouth crew's pagers went off at 5:29pm today (Wednesday) in response to a call for help from a large sailing vessel, which had lost power approximately 2.5 nautical miles west south west of The Needles.

The skipper of the former BT Global Challenge yacht Elinca contacted the UK Coastguard to report that the vessel had no electrics, no engine and no anchor, which meant that she would not be able to safely continue her journey or return to harbour without assistance.

The Severn class lifeboat escorted Elinca and her crew of three to Yarmouth whilst she was still under sail, then carried out an alongside tow to safely manoeuvre the 40 tonne vessel into the harbour. The lifeboat and crew returned to station by 7:00pm.

We understand that the RNLI's Swanage lifeboat assisted the same vessel into Poole harbour three days ago under similar circumstances.

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

Two double call-outs for Yarmouth RNLI

Sunday 6th August 2017

The volunteer crew of the RNLI all-weather lifeboat in Yarmouth had a very busy day yesterday (Sunday) with two launches, each resulting in two separate incidents.


The first request to launch came from the UK Coastguard at 1:45pm in response to a Pan-Pan* call from a sailing yacht competing in the Fastnet Race. The 39 foot vessel Harriet Marwood with five crew on board had run aground on the Shingle Bank to the west of the Shingles Elbow buoy. Once on scene the lifeboat crew launched the smaller Y-boat to assess the situation, but this was then quickly recovered as the lifeboat was tasked to another incident off The Needles, leaving Harriet Marwood under the supervision of the RNLI's Lymington Inshore Lifeboat.

In this next shout received at 2:24pm, the lifeboat was called to assist the 40 foot trimaran TRILOGIC, also taking part in the Fastnet and reported to be taking on water approximately 9 miles south of The Needles. The Y-boat was launched and an RNLI crew member put aboard to assess the situation. The skipper and crew of TRILOGIC were happy to monitor the water ingress and had means of pumping out the water plus a plan to sail to France for repair. The lifeboat was therefore stood down and returned to station at 4:10pm.

The RNLI crew launched the lifeboat for a second time at 6:21pm having been tasked again by the UK Coastguard to assist the yacht Harriet Marwood, which was still aground and concerned about the increasing size of the waves. On arriving at the Shingles Bank, the lifeboat found that the stricken vessel had been washed clear of the bank by a big wave and was proceeding under her own power escorted by the Lymington Inshore Lifeboat.

Whilst making the return journey to station, at 6:55pm the Yarmouth lifeboat was tasked to go to a 32 foot sailing yacht located half a nautical mile south of the entrance to Lymington River and reporting a crew member on board with a head injury. Three RNLI crew were transferred aboard the yacht to assess the casualty who was stabilised and taken ashore to Lymington and an awaiting ambulance.

In between shouts yesterday afternoon, the Yarmouth RNLI Y-boat, manned by 2 volunteer crew, was also able to act as the safety boat during Yarmouth Carnival's Decorated Dinghies competition.

If you would like to support your local lifeboat, there will be a lifeboat demonstration off Yarmouth Pier this Friday (11th August) at 7.00pm during Yarmouth Carnival Week, subject to weather and operational requirements. Coxswain Howard Lester and the volunteer crew will demonstrate the RNLI rescue techniques that they use to save lives at sea. Please do come along!

*A Pan-Pan call is used to signify that there is a serious situation but no immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself.

Photos: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth Lifeboat returning to station after the first double shout yesterday.

Yarmouth RNLI Y-boat acting as safety boat during Yarmouth Carnival's Decorated Dinghies Competition yesterday afternoon.

Three shouts in three days for RNLI's Yarmouth Lifeboat

Sunday 23rd July 2017

It has been a busy start to the summer holidays for the volunteer RNLI crew in Yarmouth, with the lifeboat launching on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.


On Friday 21st July the crew's pagers sounded at 11:09am and the lifeboat was quickly launched to assist the UK Coastguard in a shoreline search from The Needles to Freshwater Bay for a possible missing swimmer. After a second fruitless sweep of the coast extending to Hanover Point, the lifeboat was stood down and returned to station.

At 11:58 the following morning, the UK Coastguard requested the Yarmouth lifeboat to launch in response to a Mayday call from a dismasted sailing yacht. The 9m yacht Mako with 6 crew on board lost her mast approximately 2.4 nautical miles north of The Needles. Once on scene an RNLI crew member was put aboard Mako to assist in the safe stowage of the mast. The lifeboat then began to escort the casualty back to Yarmouth and just off Hurst Point a tow was established to increase the speed of the passage against an ebb tide. The lifeboat returned to her station in the harbour by 2.55pm.

Lastly, in today's shout (Sunday), the Yarmouth lifeboat was tasked with investigating a report of a drifting submerged dinghy located somewhere north west of Yarmouth Harbour. The lifeboat commenced down tide searches from the reported position and, with help from motor vessel Morvoren, located the dinghy 2.2 nautical miles east north east of the harbour. The stricken dinghy was then towed back to Yarmouth and put ashore.

RIB rescue at Scratchell's Bay

Sunday 16th July 2017

On Sunday afternoon the Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat was called out by the UK Coastguard to a waterlogged 5m RIB stranded on the beach at Scratchell's Bay, just south of The Needles.


The lifeboat's smaller Y-Boat was deployed on arrival to pick up the two man RIB crew from the beach for transfer aboard the lifeboat.


The Y-Boat then ran a tow line between the RIB and lifeboat to tow the casualty vessel off the beach. Two RNLI crew members bailed the RIB dry, re-started the engine and followed the lifeboat back to Yarmouth.

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth RNLI rescues three sailors from two Round the Island Race yachts

Saturday 1st July 2017

Whilst patrolling the western Solent during the annual Round the Island Race this morning (Saturday 1st July), the RNLI's Yarmouth all-weather lifeboat was called to two injured sailors, a suspected burst appendix and a grounded yacht.


The volunteer Yarmouth crew received the first request for help at 7.18am from the yacht Quokka, which had hit a submerged object just east of The Needles resulting in one of her crew members sustaining a broken shoulder and another, minor head injuries. Once on scene, with assistance from the RNLI's Lymington lifeboat, two Yarmouth lifeboat crew were put aboard the yacht to assess the casualties and assist in their safe transferral to the Yarmouth lifeboat, which then returned them to Yarmouth harbour and an awaiting ambulance.

The second call for assistance came at 8.05am from the 48ft yacht Marathon reporting the collapse of a crew member. The lifeboat came alongside the yacht just off Hurst Castle and the casualty, with a suspected burst appendix, was transferred to the lifeboat from where they were airlifted to hospital by the UK Coastguard's Search and Rescue Helicopter.

Lastly, at 10.41am the lifeboat was tasked to assist yacht Ajax which had run aground on Atherfield Ledge, however when the lifeboat reached the scene the casualty vessel was found to have re-floated without assistance and was then able to proceed with the race.

All in all, a very eventful morning for Yarmouth's volunteer crew, following on from a busy period of five launches in ten days.

Photos: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth lifeboat crew board yacht 'Marathon' with the help of the Lymington lifeboat.

Yarmouth lifeboat crew await the UK Coastguard's Search and Rescue helicopter for airlift of casualty from 'Marathon'.

Neck injury on board yacht 'Quokka' prepared for transfer to Yarmouth lifeboat.

Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat called to assist yacht in distress

Saturday 24th June 2017

In the third shout in three days, the volunteer crew launched the all-weather lifeboat from Yarmouth harbour at 1.46pm today (Saturday) following a call to the UK Coastguard from a sailing vessel with machinery failure in the Western Solent.


In 22 knots of wind and with four children on board, the 40 foot yacht Flair IV experienced difficulties 1 nautical mile west north west of Yarmouth and had gone to anchor.

On reaching the stricken vessel, two RNLI crew members were put aboard to assist with the recovery of the anchor and establish a tow. The casualty was then towed back to Yarmouth and the lifeboat returned to station at approximately 3.30pm.

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

Back-to-back 'Shouts' for the Yarmouth Lifeboat

Thursday 22nd June 2017

The RNLI's Yarmouth lifeboat received two requests for help this afternoon, one immediately after the other and both to similar incidents in the Western Solent.


The first request to launch came from the UK Coastguard at 2.21pm in response to a Pan-Pan distress call from a yacht which had run aground on Black Rock just off Yarmouth. Whilst the second shout at 2.45pm, received as the lifeboat was returning from the first, was a Mayday call from a boat aground on Bramble Bank, a notorious sandbank between the Isle of Wight and Southampton.


In both instances the stricken vessels managed to free themselves without assistance.

Eventful Old Gaffers Weekend for Yarmouth RNLI Crew

Friday 26th May 2017

Last weekend was a busy one for Yarmouth town with the Old Gaffers Festival & also for the RNLI's Yarmouth lifeboat crew with shouts on both Saturday & Sunday afternoons.


On 3rd June, a public tour of the lifeboat was cut short when the crew was called to assist a 30ft yacht aground on rocks off Hamstead Ledge. The yacht sustained no damage & was towed to deeper water by the lifeboat.


On 4th June, the lifeboat was tasked with rescuing a yacht whose propeller had become entangled with a lobster pot buoy. The photos below show volunteer crew members in the Y boat working to cut the yacht free in a fairly heavy swell.

Photos: RNLI/Yarmouth

Legendary yacht recovered by Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat

Friday 26th May 2017

At 3.37pm this afternoon (Friday) the volunteer crew of the Yarmouth lifeboat station was called out to the renowned sailing vessel, Great Britain II, which requested assistance after suffering engine failure.


The 77 foot yacht, with a crew of 10 on board, was quickly located off Newtown by the RNLI’s Yarmouth lifeboat and towed to the safety of an outer mooring off Yarmouth Harbour.

Great Britain II was the first boat to finish in the first Whitbread Round the World Race in 1973 and is the only yacht to have ever competed in five consecutive Whitbread Round the World Races.

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

RNLI's Yarmouth & Lymington Lifeboats work together in Colwell Bay Rescue

Sunday 7th May 2017

In Sunday afternoon's shout the RNLI's Yarmouth lifeboat assisted the RNLI Lymington lifeboat in dealing with two vessels whose anchors had become entangled whilst moored in Colwell Bay.


One of the vessels, a 55 foot sailing yacht with six adults, five children and two dogs on board, experienced machinery failure as a result of the incident, so was towed across the Solent to the mouth of Lymington River by Lymington's Atlantic 85 lifeboat, with Yarmouth's larger Severn Class lifeboat completing the final tow and manoeuvere alongside the Harbour Master's pontoon in Lymington Harbour.

Cornish Shrimper towed to safety by Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat

Friday 5th May 2017

A call from the UK Coastguard at 10.18 this morning (Friday) triggered the launch of the RNLI’s Yarmouth lifeboat to go to the aid of a 19 foot Cornish Shrimper in difficulty in the western Solent.

With a 20 knot wind over tide and a half metre swell, conditions were moderately hostile and the stricken vessel with two crew on board was left without power when its anchor was knocked overboard by a large wave, becoming entangled in the stern gear and causing mechanical failure.

Yarmouth’s all-weather lifeboat The Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) quickly located the Shrimper in the busy shipping lane between Hurst and Fort Victoria. Once on scene a tow was established and the vessel was then recovered to Yarmouth Harbour.

Father and Son rescued by the RNLI

Saturday 1st April 2017

Late in the evening of April 1st a distress call alerted the Yarmouth All Weather Lifeboat, the Eric and Susan Hiscock, to assist the 32ft yacht 'No Three' off Freshwater Bay.

The yacht, which was crewed by a father and his young son, had fouled her stern gear and was effectively anchored to the sea bed. A lifeboat crew man was put aboard the yacht and the obstruction was cut free. The 'No Three' was taken in tow and brought safely into Yarmouth harbour at 11pm.

Wightlink Rescues Two from Icy Water

Friday 10th February 2017

The Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat was tasked to assist in the dramatic rescue of a couple whose 16ft fishing boat capsized suddenly in mid Solent during the afternoon of 10th February.


The couple had been spotted clinging to the hull of their semi-submerged, upturned vessel between Yarmouth and Lymington by the Wightlink ferry, Wight Sky, who immediately launched their inflatable rescue boat. The Wight Sky crew swiftly plucked the couple out of the freezing water and brought them into Yarmouth where they were treated for hypothermia by members of the RNLI and Wightlink crews. The couple was then transferred to an ambulance and taken to St. Mary's hospital for further treatment.

Meanwhile, the Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat was launched to recover the stricken fishing boat from the Hurst Narrows before it became a hazard to shipping.

It is believed that the capsize was caused when the anchor was dropped and snatched on the sea bed in a strong tide, instantly flipping the boat.

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

Lost Yacht in Fog Drama

Friday 30th December 2016

In her last shout of 2016, Yarmouth's all weather lifeboat was called to assist the 20ft yacht Seronissima ll on 30th December at 5.30pm.

The yacht, which had three people on board, was unsure of her position and was becalmed in thick fog 2 miles south of the Needles rocks.  She had experienced catastrophic instrument failure, including the GPS.  The lifeboat was quick to locate them and escorted them safely into Yarmouth where they arrived at 6.45pm.

Yarmouth lifeboat called to stricken fishing boat

Friday 11th November 2016

Yarmouth's all-weather lifeboat, the Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer), was called to assist a broken down fishing vessel off the Needles on Friday 11th November.


The vessel, Strike of Wight II, had suffered mechanical failure in the vicinity of the treacherous Needles rocks. In calm weather but very strong tides, the two man crew radioed for help and the lifeboat was alongside as the light was fading. The vessel was taken in tow and brought safely to Yarmouth where repairs were undertaken.

Capsized hovercraft rescued by RNLI's Yarmouth lifeboat

Thursday 3rd November 2016

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

At 1.39pm today (Thursday), the volunteer crew from the RNLI’s Yarmouth station was tasked with attending a hovercraft that had begun to sink off The Needles.


Conditions in the western Solent were fair this afternoon, with a calm sea state and good visibility, however one of four domestic hovercraft on an outing from Lee-on-Solent ran into trouble when it hit a rogue wave, which caused structural damage and subsequent loss of power. This resulted in the vessel taking on water and capsizing.


Upon arriving on scene the Yarmouth lifeboat retrieved one man overboard from the beach at Alum Bay, then proceeded around The Needles to Scratchell’s Bay to recover the capsized vessel.


The lifeboat’s on-board inflatable (Y boat) was launched and two RNLI crew members went into the water to right the hovercraft, which was then craned aboard the Yarmouth lifeboat and recovered to Yarmouth Harbour

Heaviest ever tow for RNLI’s Yarmouth Lifeboat

Thursday 13th October 2016

This afternoon the RNLI’s all-weather lifeboat stationed in Yarmouth was tasked with assisting a large survey vessel which had experienced a full power failure off Lymington.

Volunteer crew members were paged by the Coastguard just after midday and by 12.22pm the lifeboat had arrived alongside the stricken craft – an 88ft trimaran which had suffered a complete failure of its electrical control unit.

The powerless vessel was anchored securely but in danger of running aground with the ebbing tide. To remedy the situation, the lifeboat crew cut the anchor line and marked the anchor with a buoy for future recovery before establishing a tow line by which the trimaran was towed into Lymington harbour.

At 10.5 metres in width and weighing 105 tonnes, this is believed to have been the largest and heaviest tow ever carried out by the Yarmouth lifeboat; a great deal of skill was required for the lifeboat coxswain to manoeuvre in the confined waters of the harbour with such a large vessel alongside.

Photos: RNLI/Yarmouth

Two shouts in 48 hours for Yarmouth lifeboat

Sunday 4th September 2016

The volunteer RNLI crew launched Yarmouth's Severn Class lifeboat, The Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer), twice over the weekend in response to two separate incidents.

In Saturday morning's shout at 11.42am the lifeboat was tasked with assisting a 44ft yacht with engine failure & a very fatigued crew of two. In light winds, the yacht was unable to make way under sail so a tow was established by the RNLI crew and the vessel was recovered to the safety of Yarmouth harbour, with the lifeboat arriving back at station by 2.05pm.

In a second incident closer to home on Sunday evening, the volunteer crew raced to assist a power boat which began sinking just off Yarmouth harbour.  As soon as the stricken vessel was alongside the harbour pontoon the lifeboat crew deployed a salvage pump to keep her afloat until she could be lifted to safety by the harbour crane.

Above photo shows the stranded yacht being recovered to the harbour on Saturday.

Credit: Destination Yarmouth

RNLI Lifeboat Unable to Save Sinking Fishing Boat

Saturday 6th August 2016

The Yarmouth RNLI all weather lifeboat, Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) was called to assist a 45 ft fishing boat which was taking on water in Christchurch Bay at 3pm on Saturday 6th August.

The two man crew of the fishing vessel were taken off their boat by the Lymington inshore lifeboat which had been tasked to help a nearby vessel. The Yarmouth lifeboat arrived at about 3.30pm and put a salvage pump aboard in order to try to keep

the vessel afloat. However, due to excessive debris inside the vessel, the pump frequently blocked and pumping had to be abandoned after twenty minutes and the vessel allowed to sink.

Eyewitness accounts reported that the vessel was in no fit state to be at sea. Indeed it is alleged that it had been condemned by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) two years ago. Engine room hatches and doors to the wheel house were

missing making the boat excessively vulnerable to sinking should a sea swamp the deck. In the event, the condition of the hull was such that the crew could be taken off in fine weather before such a disaster occurred.

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat snatches yacht from near disaster

Wednesday 3rd August 2016

At 3.15pm on Wednesday 3rd August, Yarmouth RNLI Lifeboat, Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) went to the aid a 30ft Dutch yacht whose rudder had broken just west of the notorious Shingles Bank off the Needles Rocks.


The tides of the Solent and the Channel meet in this area and it is renowned for its dangerous seas.  The wind was gusting near gale force making the task of establishing a tow very difficult for both the lifeboat and the yacht in such violent conditions. 

The yacht was so close to the shingle bank that it was able to try to anchor before the lifeboat arrived.  Although the anchor was holding, the yacht was rotating round its anchor in the violent seas making the lifeboat's approach dangerous. 

The yacht's crew were asked to cut the anchor which made her more approachable and the lifeboat was able to secure a temporary tow from her bow to pull the yacht clear of the shallows. Once in calmer waters the lifeboat crew were able to establish a safer tow back to Yarmouth where they arrived at 5.50pm.

To watch video footage of the rescue, please click here.

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

RNLI Takes Fishermen in Tow

Sunday 31st July 2016

The Yarmouth all weather lifeboat, the Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer), was called to assist a boat which was out on a day's fishing trip with eleven passengers on the afternoon of Sunday 31st July.


The 31 foot boat, the Alaminta, was close to the Needles rocks when it experienced steering problems and was unable to manoeuvre. She had eleven people on board who had paid for a day out to catch mackerel. The weather, although fine, was windy and fortunately a passing rigid inflatable boat (RIB) attempted to tow the vessel clear of any dangers. However, it was clear that more towing power was required and the RNLI Lifeboat was called just before 3pm. The lifeboat was alongside the vessel by 3.15pm and started the tow back to Yarmouth. The vessel and its crew were safely in Yarmouth harbour by 5.10pm.

RNLI Rescues Three Kayakers

Monday 18th July 2016

National Coastwatch and members of the public reported that kayakers had been seen far from land in Christchurch Bay, north west of the Needles on Monday 18th July.

Although the weather was very warm and the sea calm the coastguard feared for their safety and the Yarmouth RNLI All Weather Lifeboat, Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer), was launched to assist them around 2.30pm. The lifeboat reached them 20 minutes later. The kayakers were very tired and would have had difficulty in reaching the shore, so they and their kayaks were taken on board the lifeboat and put ashore at their request on Hurst Spit. No one was injured.

Police Hunt ends with RNLI Rescue

Friday 15th July 2016

An elderly couple who had been reported missing by their son around midday on Friday 15th July were located on Hamstead beach on the north side of the Isle of Wight at 6pm.


The couple, who were both in their eighties, had left Shalfleet in the morning and had been last seen at 11am. When they did not return by lunch time, the police were alerted. The police asked for the coastguard's assistance and they managed to locate them on Hamstead beach. They had slipped down to the beach where erosion had taken place. This beach is notorious for its dangerous blue slipper clay and can entrap unwary walkers.

Due to the clay surface they were unable to make progress, so the Yarmouth all weather lifeboat, The Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer), was called to their assistance. Once on the scene the lifeboat launched its small rigid inflatable boat (RIB) which enabled the crew to get inshore to rescue the walkers. Both were suffering from shock and exposure as they had been on the beach for about 7 hours. Once safely in Yarmouth, they were given treatment by the ambulance paramedics and allowed home.

Round the Island Race

Saturday 2nd July 2016

Rough conditions resulted in the total loss of a well known Isle of Wight yacht, Alchemist, during the J P Morgan Asset Management Round The Island Yacht race on 2nd July. The Yarmouth RNLI all weather lifeboat raced to help her as she was taking on water rapidly. The Mudeford RNLI inshore lifeboat was in attendance and rescued all the crew seconds before she sank in 17 metres of water just east of the Needles.


Alchemist was a well known Junior Offshore Group (JOG) racer and had competed successfully for many years. Her owner, Mark Wynter, is commodore of the Island Sailing Club, the race organisers, and was not on board. Her loss will be deeply felt by all the offshore racing fraternity.


The strong wind forecast resulted in the cancellation of all the smaller classes of yacht. Conditions south of the island were challenging. The Yarmouth lifeboat was called to no less than six incidents including the loss of a mast, damaged rudder, crew injuries and damaged hulls.


Credit: Marion Heming - Alchemist's stern and the mast above the water seconds before she sank

Credit: RNLI - Kallista with mast failure

Credit: RNLI - Jumbuck with a partial dismasting

Credit: RNLI - Milly Mo with a collapsed outrigger

Busy Sunday for Yarmouth RNLI

Sunday 12th June 2016

On Sunday 12th June, the Yarmouth lifeboat was called out twice in as many hours bringing a total of five emergencies in the space of seven days.

Just before midday they were called to assist a 37ft yacht in difficulties in Colwell Bay on the north coast of the West Wight. The yacht, Protégé, had been dismasted and although at

anchor the crew of six was unable to get the rig aboard and needed assistance.


Three RNLI crewmen went aboard and managed to recover the rig to enable the yacht to motor to Yarmouth. The lifeboat stood by them on passage to Yarmouth in case of further developments.

No one was injured.

The Yarmouth lifeboat was back on station by but by 1.40pm they were tasked again to assist an 85ft schooner, Spirit of Falmouth, which was in need of help in Christchurch Bay.


She had machinery failure and, though able to sail, she was unable to manoeuvre into harbour and required a tow. The lifeboat took her alongside and brought her safely into Yarmouth.


Spirit of Falmouth was one of the biggest tows ever established by Yarmouth RNLI.


Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth - RNLI personnel assisting crew members from the yacht Protégé.

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth - Spirit of Falmouth under tow alongside the Yarmouth lifeboat.

Double Callout for Yarmouth Lifeboat

Thursday 9th & Friday 10th June 2016

The Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat was called out to assist the same yacht twice on the evening of 9th June and the early morning of the next day.


The 56ft yacht Wallybird II, with a single handed crew, had run aground on Hamstead Ledge rocks in the western Solent during the afternoon.  As the tide dropped, she heeled over steeply with the result that the skipper could not deploy his anchor in preparation for refloating.  He called for assistance at 6.30pm and the lifeboat went to his aid. The small rigid inflatable Y boat (RIB) was launched and deployed the anchor for him.  It was estimated that he would refloat around 1.30am.


At 3.30am on the morning of the 10th June the lifeboat was called again to the same yacht.  Although the skipper had managed to pull himself clear of the rocks as his yacht floated, it was only then that he discovered that his propeller had been damaged and he was unable to manoeuvre.  There was little or no wind so he was also unable to sail and was drifting helplessly towards Yarmouth Pier.  The lifeboat reached him just before 4am and took him in tow into Yarmouth where he arrived safely at 4.30am.

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

Disabled Yacht Towed to Safety

Saturday 25th May 2016

Just before 5.00pm on Wednesday 25th May, the volunteer crew of the RNLI's Yarmouth lifeboat was scrambled to assist a stricken yacht off the Needles. 


The 32ft yacht Perfidious Albion suffered from mechanical failure and was located to the south east of the Needles Fairway Buoy in calm conditions. 


An RNLI crew member was transferred aboard to secure a tow and the casualty was towed back to Lymington harbour, arriving at 7.00pm.  


Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

Grounded Yacht Rescue

Friday 19th February 2016

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

The Yarmouth RNLI all-weather lifeboat was called to assist a yacht grounded on the notorious shingle spit known as the 'trap' off Hurst Castle at lunchtime on Friday 19th February.


The RNLI were on the scene very swiftly avoiding a very serious disaster.  The 'trap' is subject to a considerable swell, even in calm weather, which can result in a yacht breaking up after only a few minutes.  The lifeboat put a tow line on board and plucked the yacht into deep water.

Initial inspection showed there to be no serious damage and the yacht was able to continue on her way to the Hamble.  A very fortunate outcome from what was potentially a very dangerous situation.

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth RNLI Photo Drama

Saturday 23rd January 2016

On Saturday 23rd January the complete Yarmouth RNLI all weather lifeboat crew were assembled on the quay to be photographed by Jack Lowe as a part of his project to photograph every lifeboat station in the country using a rare Victorian photographic technique.


The picture had been composed when the lifeboat was scrambled to rescue two people reported in the water off Pennington marshes. As the crew were already on site, the Yarmouth lifeboat was on the scene very quickly leaving Mr. Lowe on the quay to await their return.


The casualties were two young people whose Laser dinghy had capsized, having become entangled in a lobster pot buoy. The mast was ensnared by a wire rope on the buoy making the dinghy impossible to right. Their predicament was spotted by someone on the shore who alerted the coastguard.


The swift arrival of the Yarmouth Lifeboat prevented a more serious accident. Despite this, both casualties were taken to Lymington and then Southampton Hospital for treatment for hyperthermia.


The lifeboat returned to Yarmouth to continue the photo shoot. Yarmouth is the 41st station to be photographed out of a total of 237.


To view more information about the Lifeboat Station Project, click here.

Yarmouth RNLI volunteers in dramatic small boat rescue in Christchurch Bay

Thursday 10th November 2015

The Yarmouth RNLI all-weather lifeboat was called to assist a 22ft yacht, White Osbeat, in distress off Hengistbury Head in Christchurch Bay north west of the Needles on the morning of 10 December.


At the time, the weather was atrocious.  The south westerly wind was gusting 35 knots (force 7) and the visibility was very poor.


The lifeboat Coxswain described the sea as very rough.  The yacht had a serious rigging failure and was in danger of losing her mast. 


The two crew members raised the alarm and the Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat was soon on the scene and took the yacht in tow.  It took two hours to bring the yacht to safety due to the weather conditions.  No one was hurt.


To view the video footage of the rescue, please click here.

The Yarmouth RNLI all-weather lifeboat was called to assist a 22ft yacht, White Osbeat, in distress off Hengistbury Head in Christchurch Bay north west of the Needles on the morning of 10 December.


At the time, the weather was atrocious.  The south westerly wind was gusting 35 knots (force 7) and the visibility was very poor.


The lifeboat Coxswain described the sea as very rough.  The yacht had a serious rigging failure and was in danger of losing her mast. 


The two crew members raised the alarm and the Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat was soon on the scene and took the yacht in tow.  It took two hours to bring the yacht to safety due to the weather conditions.  No one was hurt.


To view the video footage of the rescue, please click here.

Credit: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth lifeboat recovers fishing vessel with gearbox failure

Sunday 1st November 2015

Yesterday morning (Sunday), the volunteer RNLI crew of the Yarmouth lifeboat station was tasked by the Solent Coastguard with assisting a fishing boat in difficulty off Colwell Bay.


The relief Severn Class lifeboat Volunteer Spirit was launched from Yarmouth harbour at 10:11am, conditions were fair with a slight sea state and the lifeboat quickly reached the stricken vessel located near Warden Ledge, arriving alongside by 10:24am.


A tow was established by RNLI crew members and the fishing boat was safely towed into Lymington, with the lifeboat arriving back at station by 11:45am.


Yarmouth's own Severn Class lifeboat Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) is currently in Cowes for a refit, which should take approximately 20 weeks.

Father and Son Lifeboat Rescue

Saturday 17th October 2015

In the afternoon of Saturday 17th October, the Yarmouth RNLI all weather lifeboat was called to assist a motor boat, the L'Esprit Libre, in trouble in strong ebb tides in Hurst Narrows. The father and son crew had got into difficulties following serious engine failure and were in danger of being swept out past the Needles on the fast tide.


The RNLI lifeboat reached them off Fort Albert at 2.30 pm and having ascertained there was no possibility of restarting the engine, the lifeboat towed the vessel into Yarmouth to effect repairs.  No one was injured in the incident.

Massive Search for Missing Cruise Liner Passenger

Saturday 10th October 2015

The Yarmouth RNLI all weather lifeboat, the Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) was called out at 8am on Saturday 10th October to assist in the search for a passenger believed to have fallen overboard from the cruise liner Ventura eight miles south of St. Catherine's Point earlier that morning.


It was believed that the casualty was a man in his forties. The weather was good at the time and a major rescue operation was mounted. This included two Search and Rescue helicopters as well as the Bembridge and Yarmouth lifeboats and a warship. The 25sq mile search area was systematically searched all day until the coastguard called it off at 7.15pm. Nothing was found.

Double Lifeboat Cliff Drama

Saturday 22nd August 2015

Both the Yarmouth RNLI all-weather lifeboat and the Freshwater inshore lifeboat were launched at 11.23am on 22 August to assist in the rescue of a fallen cliff climber.


Freshwater Bay area was the scene of a dramatic rescue of an injured man who had fallen while cliff climbing in Scratchells Bay just east of the Needles.  The Freshwater Bay lifeboat took the casualty to Colwell Bay where the coastguard administered first aid before he was transferred to hospital. The beach at Scratchells is normally only accessible by boat.

Two uninjured climbers were then rescued from the beach in Scratchells Bay and were taken to Alum Bay where they re-joined their car.

Grounded Fastnet Yacht recovered by Yarmouth RNLI

Sunday 16th August 2015

On one of the busiest days in the Solent - the start of the Fastnet Race - the RNLI's Yarmouth lifeboat was tasked with assisting one of the 356 competing yachts.

The launch request came from the Solent Coastguard at 4.40pm yesterday (Sunday 14th August) following a distress call from the ironically named 63 foot American racing yacht Lucky, which had run aground on the notorious Shingles Bank in the western Solent.


When the volunteer crew of the Yarmouth lifeboat arrived on scene the stricken yacht, with a draft of 4.6 metres, was hard aground and heeled right over. The Y boat was immediately deployed from the lifeboat to check that the 18 strong crew were all uninjured and that the vessel was not taking on water. 


Six of yacht's crew were taken off by her support RIB and it was then a long wait for the flood tide. When it arrived a tow was established and Lucky was pulled clear by the lifeboat at approximately 9.30pm and made her own way back to the Hamble. The Yarmouth lifeboat returned to station at 9.55pm.

Photo: RNLI/Yarmouth

Yarmouth lifeboat launched to Bond film motorboat blaze

Friday 7th August 2015

Photos: RNLI/Yarmouth

The RNLI’s Yarmouth lifeboat Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) was called out on Friday to go to the aid of a classic motor launch with a serious engine fire off Lymington.


The lifeboat launched from Yarmouth harbour at 3.20pm following a mayday call to the Solent Coastguard from those on board a Fairey Huntsman 28’ motorboat named Here and Now, located to the east of the mouth of Lymington River.

The volunteer lifeboat crew quickly reached the stricken vessel, which was already under tow by the Lymington lifeboat with those on board having been safely transferred to another vessel.

Escorted by the Yarmouth lifeboat, the damaged motorboat was towed back into Lymington by the Lymington lifeboat and checked over by the awaiting fire brigade before being strapped alongside the Yarmouth lifeboat so that her salvage pump could be used to pump out all the residual water.

The motorboat was then immediately lifted out of the water by Lymington Yacht Haven to prevent her from sinking as a result of the damage sustained in the fire.

Paul Fairall, owner of Southampton based Here and Now for the last thirty years, revealed to the Yarmouth RNLI that the boat had an illustrious past, having featured in a boat chase in the Bond film 'From Russia with Love' in 1963 and having won a prize in the 1962 Cowes Torquay Powerboat Race.


Yarmouth Lifeboat Rescue in Large Seas

Sunday 26th July 2015

The RNLI's Yarmouth all weather lifeboat was called out to assist a lone

yachtsman in difficulty in extremely rough seas off the Needles last night.


At 11.15pm the volunteer crew at Yarmouth launched the Severn Class

lifeboat Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) to go to the aid of a 40 foot

twin-hulled motor yacht located 4 miles south west of the Needles



The skipper of the vessel was struggling to navigate single-handedly in

difficult conditions with waves approximately 8 foot high and strong

winds gusting up to 38 mph from the south west.

                                                                                                                                                                                  (Yarmouth RNLI Archive Photo) The lifeboat reached the motor yacht at 11.43pm and escorted it back towards Yarmouth, two crew members were then transferred aboard to motor the vessel into the harbour, arriving back at 12.45am.

Coxswain of the Yarmouth lifeboat Howard Lester commented: 'This was the bumpiest shout we've had for quite some time in challenging conditions for both crew and equipment and I'm pleased that everyone returned to shore safely.'

Double Trouble for Yarmouth Lifeboat

Sunday 12th July 2015


In two separate but consecutive incidents, the RNLI's all weather Yarmouth lifeboat went to the aid of two vessels with engine trouble in the western Solent on Sunday afternoon.

The volunteer crew's emergency pagers went off at 2.33pm on Sunday 12th July following a call for help to the Coastguard from the two person crew of a 30 foot boat with engine problems. The Yarmouth lifeboat The Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) was launched at 2.39pm and quickly located the stricken vessel to the south west of Hurst Castle. Conditions were unfavourable with force 6 winds gusting force 7 from the south west.

The lifeboat took the vessel in tow to the safety of Yarmouth harbour but was then immediately tasked to go out again to assist a yacht under sail but with engine failure and requiring assistance with their approach and entry into the harbour, the lifeboat escorted the yacht safely into Yarmouth.

Casualty airlifted from Yarmouth Lifeboat with Head Injury

Thursday 2nd July 2015

The RNLI’s all weather Yarmouth lifeboat was launched at 3.20pm on Thursday 2nd July following a report of a crew member with a head injury on board a yacht off Newtown Creek.

Upon reaching the scene at 3.30pm, the lifeboat transferred two of her volunteer crew members to the yacht to provide medical care for the casualty.


With the arrival of the Search & Rescue helicopter, the lifeboat then manoeuvred away from the yacht to enable the helicopter winchman to be lowered to the lifeboat and subsequently transferred to the yacht.


The casualty was then transferred by stretcher to the lifeboat, winched on board the helicopter and airlifted to Southampton General Hospital. With no further assistance required the Yarmouth lifeboat returned to station at 4.23pm.


We are happy to report that the injured person is recovering well.

Three Shouts in 24 hours for Yarmouth RNLI Volunteers

Wednesday 17th June & Thursday 18th June 2015

It  was a busy mid-week period for the volunteer crew of the Yarmouth Lifeboat Station, with two launches on Wednesday and one on Thursday.


At 10:32am on Wednesday 17th June the Yarmouth all weather lifeboat The Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer) was called to the aid of a lone sailor whose 28 foot yacht was disabled in the western Solent with no steering. The lifeboat launched at 10.40am and located the stricken yacht one mile south of the Needles lighthouse at 10.57am, she was then taken in tow by the lifeboat to Yarmouth for repairs.


The crew's emergency pagers went off for a second time later that day and the Yarmouth lifeboat was launched at 6.02pm in response to a call for help to the Coastguard from those on board a yacht whose anchor was fouled in fishing gear in 22 knots of wind. The lifeboat reached the yacht within 10 minutes and was able to clear the anchor then escort the vessel back to her home port of Yarmouth.


In a third shout on Thursday morning, the Yarmouth lifeboat was launched at 8.59am to go to the aid of a 30 foot motor vessel suffering from engine problems and a fouled propeller in Christchurch Bay. The anchor was recovered by the lifeboat crew and one volunteer crew member entered the water to free the propellor. The boat was then towed safely back to Yarmouth.


'Mayday' bank holiday for Yarmouth RNLI volunteers

Sunday 24th May & Tuesday 26th May 2015

Volunteer lifeboat crew from the Yarmouth Royal National

Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) station responded to two separate

calls for help at the end of the Spring bank holiday weekend.

The first launch was at 4.26pm on Sunday 24 May in response to

a faint Mayday call received from the north shore from an

unidentified caller, the crew searched in vain for the source of

the call and the search was eventually aborted.

The Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat The Eric and Susan Hiscock

(Wanderer) was launched for a second time at 6.17am on Tuesday

26 May to assist a small yacht drifting with engine failure two miles west of St Catherine's Point. The lifeboat reached the yacht at 6.50am and took her in tow to Yarmouth, arriving back into the harbour by 9.45am.

The RNLI, the charity that saves lives at sea, relies on donations from the public to fund its lifesaving activities. If you would like to support your local lifeboat station, the crew of the Yarmouth lifeboat will be on hand to give guided tours at the quay side on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning during this weekend's Old Gaffers Festival.


There will also be a demonstration off Yarmouth with the Search & Rescue helicopter at 2.40pm on Saturday afternoon. For more information on this weekend's events, please click here.

Search for Missing Kayaker
Sunday 19th April 2015
Our thoughts are with the family of the kayaker who lost his life in the Solent over the weekend.
The Yarmouth RNLI are so sorry that their search did not have a happier outcome.
Photo courtesy of Mark Pearce shows the Yarmouth lifeboat on Sunday morning as it searched alongside the Hamble, Lymington & Calshot lifeboats.
Triple Easter Emergency
Saturday 4th April 2015
The Yarmouth all weather lifeboat, The Eric and Susan Hiscock (Wanderer), was called out to three separate incidents on Easter Saturday.
The first coincided with a rowing race in the river Yar in which five of the lifeboat crew were taking part.  The rowers raced to the shore to man the lifeboat to assist a yacht in the Needles channel which had been holed after hitting a navigational mark.  She was en route to Portugal.  The lifeboat put their emergency pump aboard and stabilised the yacht.  The yacht was then taken in tow towards Lymington.
As they approached the Lymington River they received a further call to another a French yacht in Hurst Narrows in the western Solent.  The Yarmouth lifeboat then transferred the tow to the Lymington in-shore lifeboat. The yacht in the Solent had fouled a rope around its propeller and was unable to make any progress against a strong ebb tide under sail. The Yarmouth lifeboat managed to take the yacht in tow to Yarmouth, but before the lifeboat had been made secure in its berth she was called again to assist a 37ft yacht aground on Gurnard Ledge just west of Cowes. The yacht went aground just before low tide and was listing badly. The small lifeboat inflatable was launched to assess the situation and deployed their anchor by which the yacht could pull herself off the rocks when the tide had flooded sufficiently. The yacht was undamaged and regained deep water later in the evening.